Friday 9 December 2011

Why?!

I'm sure many people are wondering why we would want to do this! Why would anyone choose to live in a van when they have good jobs and could afford to rent a perfectly normal house or flat? 



We do both have good jobs, but we still find ourselves regularly depressed by not having either the spare cash or time to go to the places we would like to visit or to do what we want to do. Without a job or at least working part-time we'd have all the spare time to do what we want, get a dog, whittle wood...but then we wouldn't be able to afford to rent a house either. So something needs to change, and by addressing the housing cost issue we will have far more money to put into what we want and then someday in the future we'll be in a position where we can go on the road full time and make what little living money we need along the way. Many people retire this way, but I've found already that life has a way of sneaking an unfortunate or ironic surprise or two on you and I would prefer to experience and enjoy my life whilst I'm here or able to do so.

So it’s simply through a matter of addressing the priorities of your life and finding that ultimate balance that works for you. I'm a Libra and so symbolised by the scales, perhaps that's why I do what I do!

Why do you live the way you do? What do you do or have that isn’t really important that you can cut out and so focus your money & energy on the things that are more important to you? It doesn’t have to be as extreme as selling all of your stuff and living in a motorhome! It could just be living in a slightly smaller house, or having fewer expensive to run electrical gadgets... 

Everyone is different so there is no definitive way to live for everyone to follow, or perhaps you’re not ready to do what needs to be done yet! It took us a while of living by ourselves and in smaller and smaller houses/rooms, until finally our financial situation (and I’m sure a little insanity!) caused us to have to take the plunge and make the change. Our family don’t really understand yet how or why we would actually want to live this way, but I’m sure they will before long. That’s doesn’t mean to say however that even when they do understand that they’ll want to, or be psychologically able, to do the same!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Sarah.

    I really admire you for going and doing this, you inspire me to go and do things and make things possible! I am really looking forward to reading the blog and seeing 'Waki' come to life!

    Becca x

    ReplyDelete